What to Do if you Find Yourself to be a Victim of Fraud or Identity Theft
Report a Lost or Stolen Visa Check Card
Report a Lost or Stolen Visa Credit Card
- Call Visa at 844.334.3873
- Visa will contact Heartland FCU we will order you a new card.
- You should receive your new card in 7-10 business days.
Stop ACH Payments
There are several circumstances when you may need to stop an automatic withdrawal from your account:
- Your request to stop a payment have gone unanswered by the company you gave notice to.
- You did not authorize a company to withdraw money from your account.
- You authorized a withdrawal, but it was processed on the wrong date or for the wrong amount.
In each of these cases you will need to complete a Written Statement Under Penalty of Perjury Form and return it to a local branch.
If you need to stop a payment because you do not have the funds to cover it or have made other payment arrangements, complete a Stop Payment Form and return it to a local branch. There is a $25.00 fee to place a stop payment on an ACH withdrawal.
How to Safe Guard Yourself Against Fraud
Criminals find clever ways to use our own information against us. Review these tips to stay aware and on guard of the more common scams.
- Never deposit or cash a check from someone you don’t know in exchange for the balance or a "finders’ fee.” Don’t believe you’ve been awarded grant money or won the lottery for a contest you didn’t enter and a grant you never applied for. You will be held responsible for any unrecoverable money that is disbursed or deposited.
- Do not reply to any unsolicited e-mail, text, pop-up message, or phone call asking for personal and/or financial information. No one from Heartland FCU will ever call and ask for your account number.
- NOTE: Heartland FCU works with a company called Falcon to monitor the safety of our members’ credit cards. If your card is used out of your normal spending pattern — like out of the state or country, or for very large purchases — you may receive a phone call from Falcon asking to verify the transaction. This is a legitimate call for your safety, and you may be asked to verify the last 4 digits of your Social Security number. You will never be asked for the full number. TIP: When you have plans to travel, be sure to call Heartland FCU so we may notify Visa.
- Review your credit report annually. The Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act of 2003 entitles you to one free credit report from each credit bureau each year. You may also obtain a free credit report if you have been a victim of identity theft. To get your free credit report call 877-322-8228 or log on to www.annualcreditreport.com. Should you find something on your credit report you believe to be fraudulent or incorrect, contact each credit-reporting agency.
- Equifax: 1.800.525.6285
- Experian: 1.888.397.3742
- TransUnion: 1.800.680.7289
- NOTE: Heartland FCU also provides a free credit analysis for members. Find out where you stand with your credit, what goes into making up your FICO score, and what you can do to raise your score. Contact us for more details.